Monday, August 4, 2008

This is insane...

I set up plans this past Wednesday to go to Berea to watch the Browns training camp with my girlfriend Emily and my long time friend Dan. Wednesday morning I was completely consumed by what laid ahead; unfortunately the practice was not scheduled until 5:30. My Bernie Kosar jersey, my hat, Emily's Brady Quinn jersey would just have to wait in the car.

Go back to when you were about ten. Just old enough to understand Christmas and to look forwarded to getting that gift you really wanted. Imagine walking down the stairs and seeing the gifts under the tree - you immediately find the one that is just the right size...you know it is your special gift. You look around - your parents are busy with the other kids. You begin to slowly peel back the wrapping paper to avoid making to much noise and attracting attention to yourself. Then, from the other room you hear your mother shout, "Everyone get dressed, we are going to your Aunt & Uncle's house." Your stomach drops and all you can do is wait till later to open your present. Yeah...that is how my day went.

Finally, our 4:30 meeting time had arrived. Dan was in position and waiting - but where was Emily? I received a call at 4:45 from her saying that she had been stuck in the lab, so was walking now. I hopped in the car and picked her up, then Dan. We were headed to Berea... a little behind schedule.

Water towers are not something I normally pay much attention too...until that day. It is one thing to see an article in the Plain Dealer about the Browns logo going up on a water tower, it is another thing to see it first hand. To a 'normal person' (non sports fan) it was just another marketing scheme by another company...whatever. To a Browns fan this water tower represents so much more - it shows that the everyday guy is rallying behind the heroes on the field. It shows pride, it shows belief, it demands respect.

Water towers are great and all, but nothing beats a towering defensive players in my mind. Dan, Emily, and I went around and watched the defensive linemen practicing; it was cool to see the other side of the ball. Shaun Rogers is one big guy. This is just about all I can remember from the actual training camp. If someone that big was chasing me for a ball - I would seriously consider just giving it to them. We also tried to watch some of the offense, but I swear every fan on that side of the field was 6'5 inches, 275 or something. I could barely see anything and it was hopeless for Dan and Emily, who are on the shorter side.

Last year my father took me fly fishing (I really enjoy it) on a snowy, cold day (20 degrees). My fingers were freezing and I was not having to much fun on this given day. He looked over at me and said, "This is insane right[to be out here]?". I immediately agreed and we packed it in. Looking back on that day I realize something - it wasn't insane to him, only to me.

As I looked over at Emily and Dan trying unsuccessfully to see I acknowledged something...this was insane. We did not stay much longer.

No player came up to us and talked, none of them thanked us for coming (aside from the people at the gate) . Even if our visit wasn't as thrilling, our visit to Berea still had a purpose. Even though we couldn't see the players, and they couldn't see us - they knew we were there. They could look into the bleachers and see plethora of guys wishing they were on the field, women trying to get a closer look at Brady Quinn, and children pretending they were NFL stars. The players need us to be there - everyone needs to remember where they came from, what they are playing for, and most importantly that they are supported. The fans need something to look up to, to help pick them up on a rough day.

Yes, this might seem insane, but the fans & the players, the team are forever linked through their reliance on one another. It might seem insane to root for something we have no control over. It might seem insane to spend so much time reading about the greats we will never meet. It might seem insane to throw so much emotion into a team we are not playing for. It might be insane, but we will keep showing up...

No comments: